« AnteriorContinuar »
5. Extremity of a tentacle, much magnified, with the internal layer partly exposed by the removal of the external cellular layer.
6. Muscular fibre of F. sultana, showing its striated structure, and its tendency to break into
discs. The central fibre of the group is seen to be irregularly swollen, as it appears when in a state of contraction.
7. A very much enlarged drawing of the polypide and cell, to show anatomical details.
1. Paludicella Ehrenbergi, attached to a submerged stone. Natural size.
2. A portion of the same magnified.
3. A very much enlarged drawing of a cell with the polypide retracted; showing the anatomical details.
4. A cell seen in section with the polypide exserted, and exhibiting anatomical details. The ovary and testis are here fully developed, while in fig. 3 they are represented in an undeveloped state.
5. Lophophore viewed upon the upper surface, with the mouth, and roots of the tentacula.